Winifred Elizabeth Green Washington Queen, daughter of the late Charles O. and Mary F. Green was born September 13, 1919 in Baltimore, Maryland. She departed this life on Monday, November 22, 2010 in her home in Grasonville, Maryland.\n \n Winnie, for which she was best known, began her Christian education at Sharp Street Methodist Church in Baltimore. There she was a member of the Sunday School and other services. When her family relocated to Chester, MD, she became a member of Union Wesley UM Church.\n \n In June 1941, she was joined in holy matrimony to Eugene L. Washington. Of this union, one daughter, Marilyn E. Washington was born. Eugene died in September 1948. In 1956, Winifred was married to Arthur Queen and relocated to Ferndale (Glen Burnie). He preceded her in death in 1978.\n \n In 1942, she joined Robinson AME Church where she was the church organist for many years. While living in Ferndale, MD, she frequently visited Metropolitan United Methodist Church. Mrs. Queen continued a close, supportive relationship with Robinson Church during this time.\n \n During her youth, Winifred attended Chester Elementary School. Although her Dad believed that girls should not be formally educated, her mom's determination made it possible for her to further her education. Later she lived with her Aunt Gladys Thompson in Baltimore. This allowed her to graduate from Frederick Douglas High School on June 22, 1934. Winifred worked at Pen-Dol Drugstore on Pennsylvania Avenue where she earned money to pay for college. In September of the same year, she enrolled in what was then known as Bowie State Normal School, graduating in June 1937.\n \n Winifred attended Morgan State College (University) and Delaware State College. She received her B.S. Degree in Elementary Education in 1949. She later enrolled at the University of Maryland, College Park, MD, became certified Librarian, and thus completed requirements for a Master's Degree equivalent.\n \n Her first teaching assignment was at a one room school at Carmichael, where she remained for 17 years. The school was consolidated with the other one and two room schools to form a new school (South County Colored Consolidated Elementary School) located in Grasonville. Winifred taught second grade for 11 years. In 1966, with the advent of school integration, in Queen Anne's County, she was transferred to Stevensville Middle School where she became "Teacher-Librarian." She remained there for five (5) years. In June 1970, upon the completion of thirty-three (33) years in Queen Anne's County School System, she transferred to Anne Arundel County where she became a Media Specialist.\n \n In June 1979, with a total of 42 years in the field of education, she retired.\n \n She leaves to celebrate her victory, her daughter, Marilyn Washington, one step son, Edwin Wright, one brother, Wendall Heath, one aunt, Inez Scott, special relatives, Frances, Victor and Mary Mills, Mark Scott, Eric Spence, Shirley and Willie Cook, Leon Washington, Dr. Lee Washington, Ronald and Barbara Queen, and a host of other relatives and a special friend, Odessa Fleming.\n \n She had very special caregivers that she loved as her family, Connie Fisher, the Green Family and Leroy Fitchett.\n \n Funeral services will be held on Saturday, November 27, 2010 12 noon at Robinson AME Church 823 Grasonville Cemetery Rd Grasonville, MD with a viewing one hour prior to the services. Condolences sent to www.henryfuneralhomepa.com.